Saturday 24 March 2012

Losing Elissia

Trailing my fingers through the sandy shore dreamily looking at the faces floating past. Sand is exactly like water except it tickles. Elissia has a scarf tied around her head like a pirate, she rocks back and forth as she rows the boat through the sand. I've know Elissia a long, long time and she has a phobia to odd numbers. We're not exactly lost, but then again I don't know where we are now. 'Elissia,' I ask 'where are we and where are we going?' she lets go of the oars and looks over her shoulder 'we used to be back there' she says quietly (she talks very quietly when she's thinking) 'but, we're not there now are we?' I shake my head 'nope' Elissia awkwardly stands up in the boat 'we're right here now' I nod 'I think you should sit down' I suggest, she shakes her head 'soooo,' she squints her eyes 'we're no where' she says sitting down. The oars had drifted off and the sun was beginning to get awfully hot, so I put up the beach umbrella which also acted as a sail and soon we were speeding along over the waves.

I awoke with a start. The boat had run aground on a pebbly beach beyond which was a dense dark forest. Elissia was gone and there was no sign of life -save the singing of unseen birds in the tree tops. Stopping myself from calling out because of possible wild and dangerous animals, I jumped out of the boat and pulled it up the shore and grabbing some supplies I set off in search of Elissia. After a few minutes the sound of the ocean had been swallowed up by the deep solitude f the forest. The air was cool and heavy and the trees were all smooth and shiny. I had been walking uphill for since I left the shore but because of the thick forest it was impossible to tell how high I'd climbed. I stopped for a drink and noticed to my left a large square stone hidden through the trees. When I walked over to it I saw it was a pillar part of a large stone pergola type building. It had four pillars, one on each corner, square table like stone in the middle and the roof was also stone. Upon further investigation it seemed to have been carved from a single rock for I couldn't find and joints or cracks. I put my bag on the table to have something to eat, there I could see the ocean far off and far below. 'You've climbed a long way' said the Moose. I silently munched a slice of water melon, the Moose tapped my shoulder 'Are you missing Elissia?' he asked, I slowly nodded 'Yeah, I didn't even get to say goodbye' scratched his chin, 'Oh well, that's life I guess old boy.' I finished the water melon, put all the pieces back together and let it roll down the hill. The Moose walked out and headed up the hill, 'coming or not?' he said without turning around.

1 comment:

  1. very nice :) and sad... though im glad the Moose is there for the character lol

    ReplyDelete