Saturday 17 March 2012

The Puzzle Box

In my hand I hold a puzzle box and if opened contains the fullness of happiness. I am sitting in the chair of infinite wisdom and seated at the table of ultimate power. In the room which contains unlimited wealth. On the table lay two objects. The first is a knife and second a hammer. Any number of options fall before me. I could discover the puzzle and everything would fall into place as I open the box. I could take my life with the knife and fade away from the world around me. Or perhaps I could destroy the world around me with the hammer. Of cause even though the puzzle box presents itself as a challenge and mystery the eventual outcome is only one; a perfect heaven in chains. Perhaps I take the knife and elude the world, that's rebellion in some form because I wouldn't be submitting to it, but again another dead end which if honest with myself would I label as admitting defeat. The hammer lays on the table, motionless, making no opinion or objection to any outcome. My fingers gently slide over its handle. Herein lies freedom, rebellion, the choice to choose. With a thunderous crash the table flies apart and I realise I'm swinging the hammer. Time warps and in a moment the room is reduced to rubble, all but the puzzle box. For a moment my path is split in two and I gaze at the box before my arm swings the hammer down closing that fate forever. Without savouring the moment I crash down the walls around me and when the dust settles I see out of my small world for the first time. In my hand I hold a hammer...

No comments:

Post a Comment