Friday 20 January 2012

White Cloth

I blink my stinging eyes and for a moment am blinded before gradually my eyes focus in the dimly lit room. Green is a dominant colour. I wipe my eyes with the white cloth and notice that the wallpaper is beautiful tiles covering the floor. The walls are covered in green patterned tiles with a brown cross in the middle and dots, the dots are on my hand. I hold it up and wipe the spots from my hand on my leg. Where is the ceiling? I can't see it because it's very high up in the dark sky with pigeons and moths fluttering around the swinging light bulb. The bulb is broken so I reach up and put a new one in, burning my hands badly. Now I can finally see where I am. 'Please, may I have some water?' I ask the waitress driving the car, she's wearing a red cap and has blonde hair with curlers in. She turns around and her mouth drops open and her face becomes deathly white 'get out, get out!' she screams. I bend down falling to the ground with my hands on my ears as the ear piercing scream fills the air. Gathering my strength I slowly crawl forward through the smoke toward the door. 'You'll be needing this' says the Librarian smiling and wiping her hands on her apron, she hands me a white cloth. I nod and walk over and wipe the dirty window so we can see out, I wipe and wipe harder and harder until I become frantic. 'The cloth wont become dirty!' I scream, the Librarian smiles 'gently does it dear'. I shut my eyes and struggle forward, dirt cuts my hands and I can feel it rippling and bubbling under my feet. Suddenly I fall backwards, my head hurts. The dirt seams to spread out forever and there doesn't seam to be any water, the cuts on my hands a bleeding and I can feel trickles of blood running back down my arms. The blood drops to the floor. I tap the waitress on her should 'please I did ask, may I have some water? I'm so very thirsty' she shakes her head without turning around. Leaning my head against the cold windows and watch the cars and city lights fly by through the dark like moths. They're fluttering around a light bulb. My blood looks brown on the green tiles, brown spots, a moth falls and smudges a star shape. 'Here love, you'll be needing this' says the librarian smiling at me and holding out a bright white cloth. I gently wipe until everything is so clean it glows white, bright white. I blink my stinging eyes and for a moment am blinded before gradually my eyes focus in the dimly lit room. Green is a dominant colour. I wipe my eyes with the white cloth and notice that the wallpaper is beautiful tiles covering the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment